September 28 (SeeNews) - Following are some of the main stories in the online versions of Serbian media over the weekend and on Monday morning. SeeNews has not verified these reports and cannot vouch for their accuracy.
- EU-defined Corridor X must not be among the programmes whose funds will be slashed in Belgrade’s bid to cut public spending, Infrastructure Minister Milutin Mrkonjic said. Corridor X is slated for completion by the beginning of 2012, Mrkonjic also said.
- Serbia will decide by the end of the year which state-owned firms will be shut down, Economy Ministry’s State Secretary Nebojsa Ciric said.
- Serbia’s Prime Minister Mirko Cvetkovic held several meetings with government officials on Sunday on drafting three laws that would allow 14,000 lay-offs in the public sector, starting in January, the paper said quoting unnamed sources. Belgrade is expected to adopt these laws by Thursday. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) agreed earlier this month to a rise in Serbia's 2009 budget deficit forecast to 4.5% of GDP from the 3.0% set initially under a 3.0 billion euro ($4.4 billion) loan deal in exchange for a comprehensive reform of the public sector.