You have 10 free articles left this month. Get your freeBasic subscription now and gain instant access to more.

Serbia approves environmental impact study of Bulgaria-Hungary gas link

Author Radomir Ralev
Serbia approves environmental impact study of Bulgaria-Hungary gas link Source: Gazprom

BELGRADE (Serbia), March 28 (SeeNews) - Serbia's environment ministry said it has approved the environmental impact study of the project for the construction of a section of the TurkStream natural gas transmission pipeline on the country's territory that will connect Bulgaria and Hungary.

Novi Sad-headquartered Gastrans, the wholly-owned subsidiary of Swiss-based South Stream Serbia which is executing the project, applied for the approval of the plan on February 20, the environment ministry said in a statement on Wednesday.

Earlier this month, Gastrans invited binding bids for the booking of capacity for transit of natural gas via the section. The deadline for submitting non-binding bids expired on March 18.

The total volume of available annual capacity is 395.2 GWh/day at the link with Bulgaria,124.2 GWh/day at exit points in Serbia and 271.02 GWh/day at the interconnection with Hungary, Gastrans said.

Russia's Gazprom owns a 51% stake in South Stream Serbia, while state-owned Srbijagas holds the remaining 49%, according to Gazprom data.

Gazprom plans to build a string of its Turk Stream pipeline for transit of natural gas to Europe from Turkey via Bulgaria, Serbia and Hungary. The future pipeline on the territory of Serbia, approximately 400 km in length, will link the Serbian natural gas transmission system to those of Bulgaria and Hungary.

Compare