• Sotheast Europe (SEE), and in particular Bulgaria and Romania, are enjoying a rapid growth in air
traffic due to the massive expansion of low-cost lines in 2016. The other countries in the region are
set to follow in 2017.
• Bulgaria was the fastest growing market in SEE and second in Europe in terms of departing seats
capacity in 2016.
• While in Romania LCCs already dominate the market and in Bulgaria local flag carrier is losing ground
to Wizz Air and Ryanair, in Serbia and Croatia local airlines stay ahead of the low-cost competition.
• Low-cost carriers (LCCs), globally and in SEE as well, are no longer tied to their absolute no-frills
policy and strive to go upmarket and compete with traditional airlines not only in pricing.
• The boom of low-cost travel is creating a new market in SEE with a new type of customers, thus
complementing legacy airlines and expanding the overall air transport market.