January 27 (SeeNews) - Romanian gas and electricity market operator OPCOM may expand to Moldova, its parent company Transelectrica [BSE:TEL] said on Friday.
Power grid operator Transelectrica and an official Moldovan delegation led by deputy prime minister and infrastructure minister Andrei Spinu agreed on the next steps for OPCOM to become Moldova’s electricity market operator, Transelectrica said in a press release.
The two parties also talked on accelerating the 400 kV overhead powerline interconnecting Romania’s city of Suceava and Moldova’s Balti as well as developing a new 400 kV power line. These objectives will be included in a memorandum of understanding (MoU) between the two governments.
Talks also revolved around the stage of the integration of Moldova’s power transmission company Moldelectrica into the European Network of Transmission System Operators for Electricity (ENTSO-E).
In November, Moldelectrica announced that Moldova would have to buy 74% of the electricity it needs from Romania.
Transelectrica is a majority shareholder in OPCOM, owning 97.84% of its shares, while the Romanian state holds the remaining 2.16% stake. The Romanian state is also a majority shareholder in Transelectrica, with a 58.69% stake.
Blue-chip Transelectrica shares traded flat at 22.1 lei as at 1258 CET on the Bucharest Stock Exchange.
(1 euro=4.8922 lei)
CNTEE Transelectrica SA is among the biggest companies in SEE, for more reference take a look at Top 100 companies