October 19 (SeeNews) - Following are some of the main stories in the online versions of Romanian media over the weekend and on Monday morning. SeeNews has not verified these reports and cannot vouch for their accuracy.
- Romania's sole brokerage listed on the Bucharest Stock Exchange, SSIF Broker, plans to swing to profit of up to 10 million lei this year compared to losses worth more than 70 million lei in 2008, the company's director general Grigore Chis said.
- The leader of the Romanian Social Democratic Party (PSD) Mircea Geoana said on Saturday that he has refused a meeting request by Prime Minister-designate Lucian Croitoru because "dialogue and consultations are pointless."
- Romanian prosecutors have sent soccer tycoon Gigi Becali, who is running for president in November 22 elections, before the High Court of Justice together with one police officer and five bodyguards, on charges of deprivation of freedom, the court said.
- Romanian President Traian Basescu said on Sunday that Romania has reduced its chances to obtain the Agriculture portfolio in the European Commission, because it lacks a Foreign Affairs Minister, but some chances still exist.
- MKB Romexterra Bank will lay off 300 of its over 1,000 employees and will close 40 units in Romania in order to maintain efficiency, the daily reported quoting Hungarian news agency MTI.
- Romania's state-owned power distributor Electrica plans to invest around 100 million euro next year in its three units, Electrica Muntenia Nord, Electrica Transilvania Sud şi Electrica Transilvania Nord, and in wind energy, Electrica's director general Ioan Folescu said.
(1 euro=4.2869 Romanian lei)