You have 10 free articles left this month. Get your freeBasic subscription now and gain instant access to more.

Konzum remains Croatia's top retailer in 2018 - competition agency

Author Iskra Pavlova
Konzum remains Croatia's top retailer in 2018 - competition agency Author: Radomir Ralev

ZAGREB (Croatia), July 26 (SeeNews) - Konzum remained the largest retailer in Croatia in terms of market share in 2018, followed by the local units of two members of Germany’s Schwarz Group - Lidl and Kaufland, the Croatian competition agency, AZTN, said.

Konzum operated from 623 retail outlets in 2018, somewhat less than a year earlier, but remained at the top with market share of 30-40%, AZTN said in a statement on Thursday.

Lidl and Kaufland also had a 30-40% market share combined, while in individual terms Lidl ranked second with 10-20% market share.

Kaufland, on the other hand, ranked fifth, behind local retailer Plodine and SPAR Hrvatska, with each of the three companies having a market share in the 5-10% range last year.

AZNT said that in terms of revenue growth, SPAR Hrvatska, part of Austrian food retail group SPAR, recorded the highest nominal increase in retail turnover in 2018, climbing one place to become the fourth largest retailer in Croatia in terms of market share.

"This considerable rise of Spar is based on the fact that some forty of the former Billa outlets were in business during the whole year of 2018," the statement said. SPAR Hrvatska acquired the Billa business operations in Croatia in 2017.

Local retailer Tommy ranked sixth largest in 2018 with a market share also in the 5-10% range, while the remaining four retailers on the top 10 list held market shares of less than 5% each. These were local retailers Studenac, KTC, NTL and Mlin i Pekare.

The combined market share of Croatia's top ten retailers was nearly 82% in 2018, almost unchanged compared to 2017, while the remaining 41 active retailers held some 18% of the market.

The top five retailers controlled a combined share of 66% of the market last year, also unchanged from 2017.

Compare